Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

Gluten Free Pancakes!

Breakfast. When I was little, it was the thing that stood in the way of me and an extra 10 minutes in bed. My mum would force a piece of toast on me as I was walking out the door, but invariably I wouldn't eat it. However, in my old age (well...) I have discovered that breakfast is the best meal of the day. There is an old adage: at breakfast you should eat like a king, at lunch you should eat like a lord and at supper you should eat like a pauper. Now, I don't always follow this, but I always try to eat a big breakfast. I'm pretty sure its been scientifically proven that eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism so it actually HELPS you lose weight! So this is a recipe for my favourite healthy(ish) breakfast, that still feels utterly indulgent.

Bananananana.....PANCAKES!

I woke up this morning and found this rather lonesome looking guy staring at me from the fruit bowl.

Now, I couldn't just LEAVE him there! Normally I would just shove him in a smoothie but I fancied something heartier. So I grabbed 2 eggs, 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of milled linseed (I picked a big bag up from Aldi for about £2 and put it in everything, but it is completely optional in this recipe, I just used it to make it healthier). The chia seeds behind it are also amazing, I didn't add them to the pancakes but I mixed a spoonful with water, left it for about 2 minutes and drank it. It has no flavour but they're super good for you! Look them up.

Mush up the banana (technical term), crack in the eggs, add the baking powder and linseed if you're using it.




Mix it all together, then heat up a big pan. I didn't use anything to grease the pan - again in an effort to keep them as healthy as possible. Wait until the pan is super hot (a drop of water should sizzle in it), then using a ladle, spoon the mixture into the pan. Wait until it bubbles on top and, using a pallet knife or a fish slice, turn the pancakes over. Wait about 2-3 minutes and they should be done.



I smothered mine in maple syrup but they are also pretty darn good with nutella or even just on their own. Is there a better way to start the day? (also, totally accidental banana-coloured nails, but its the Barry M textured polish and its GREAT)

No comments:

Post a Comment